Sunday 1 May 2011

First day of BDAC season...

Decided to fish the first day for once as it was a sunday, usually avoid first days at weekends as they tend to be ridiculously busy. Went to Straits mill, arriving at 6:10 for a 4 hour morning session I expected it to be packed as it has been before on opening days with cheats sneaking in early and bagging the best swims.
There was one guy setting up in the beach swim and that was it! I followed the wind down the lake and set up in the corner swim where there were a few patches of bubbles. Hooked one after just half an hour on a chod type rig from near the snags down the left hand side but hook pulled after a few seconds. Cast back to the same spot and after 30 mins had another that came straight in and plodded around in the margins for a few minutes before I netted it; a nice 13lb 12oz common to start off the season!
It went quiet for about an hour so I tried baiting with my own boilies in the same area and a standard bottom bait, soon hooked a fish that ran in left of me and broke me in the snags. Quickly retackled and cast to the same spot as I was running out of time. Was just about to pack up when I hooked a crazily powerful fish that tore about like a torpedo all over the place. Finally netted it, a 13lb mirror that looked a little tatty but still a nice fish - had a huge tail, no wonder it fought so hard!
All in all quite a hectic start, just goes to show how catcheable they are if you can locate them, maybe the fact that it was quiet helped too.

1 comment:

Alex said...

Nice Glasses!!

that second fish looks like its taken a right beating in the past