Sunday 8 May 2011

Three-nil too the carp (and possibly tench)!!!

Following on from recent success at Straits Mill I decided to nip down saturday morning for a quick 3 hour session. Arriving at 6am I found the lake empty and a quick scout around found some carp moving around in the corner snags.
Set up on the compass swim, fishing a homemade popup in a chod type rig to the left hand snags and a long hooklength rig using superfine nylon in open water with tiger uppercuts as bait. Not long into the session I had a twitchy take on the chod setup and hooked what felt like a tench which as I played it in found a dense weedbed to hide in! I drew the great lump of weed in and netted the whole lot. Excitedly ripping the weed out of the net revealed a bare hook - the fish had done the off!
Nevermind, a short while later I had a whizzer on the open water rod and slowly brought in what felt like a good double, only for the fish to make for the cave area. I sunk the rod tip under but somehow managed to get tangled up in what seemed to be 20lb mono snagged on the bushes under the entrance to the cave, the fish kicked up in the water and severed the hooklink!
As I dejectedly retackled the chod went off again, this time it was definately a good carp and I was forced to keep the rod low and hold on as the fish tried to get into the snags. I managed to stop the fish that then started to plod towards the main part of the lake before getting into the same weedbed! A little extra pressure and the fish kicked hard and bow-waved across the surface, leaving my rig behind and another lump of weed to land!
On top of that it had rained and everything was soaked, so the lake has decided I was due a payback for myself and Graham's success!

No comments: