Sunday 8 May 2011

Mixed fortunes!

Following on from the dismal (yet promising) session yesterday I sneaked down to Straits Mill this evening, arriving at 7:35 for a very short session on the compass swim with Graham. Quickly casting out to the same spots as yesterday, I had a take on the chod setup and after a short scrap had a 16lb common in the net. As we unhooked it in the water the open water tiger nut rod went off! We left the first fish still in the net in the margin and Graham set up another net. The fish came in slowly due to the very fine hooklength I was using but managed to get under the left hand bush, I gave it as much pressure as I dared and got it back in the open. It was just getting near to netting when the hooklength parted. Close inspection showed it was frayed from where the fish was moving under the bush. We were a bit gutted as we could have had a brace shot! The common had scattered scales on it's belly so it had been christened 'scatter'.
Shortly afterwards the chod went off again and after Graham had removed a big bundle of weed from the line I managed to land another common, 15lb 8oz.
Recasting as it was getting quite dark, I was just sinking the line when I had another take! The line got caught on my fingers somehow and the fish managed to gain a lot of line before I could get a direct contact. The fish came up in the water into the snags and severed the hooklength which was a bit annoying to say the least.
Still I was well pleased with two decent doubles especially as they were on my own baits.

4 comments:

Alex said...

Jealous!!

GJ84 said...

"Wait a minute a ancient chinese recipe"

Alex said...

Nay ho long yah!!!

Nellyspania said...

Don't say too much about the bait Graham.
Because you tell two people, and they tell two people, and they tell two people, and so on, and so on, and so on. You know how these things get started!