Thursday 25 August 2011

It's Stocky!!!


I had a really good second interview for a job today so decided that I ought to build on my good fortune and get another quick session down Straits!
I arrived at about 7.30pm and found a few carp in the weedy corner so put a bit of feed over the clear patch next to the compass swim on the left. After just a few seconds a huge common drifted over then spooked away, it was easily the longest fish I have seen in the water down there, the fish was easily mid twenty. A few fish were soon feeding over the patch including a big mirror of about 20lb. I stealthily lowered in my bait, a tiger wrapped in feed paste behind two of the feeding fish and waited for action. The second rod was fished round the other side of the bush with a plain tiger and much less bait to try and trick any fish lurking to the side of the patch. It was this rod that screamed off first and after a good scrap I landed a common of 15lb. Soon after recasting I had a knock on the patch rod, then a few minutes later it screamed off. I struck and the fish surged across the clear area towards the weed on the far side, I slowed it and it boiled on the surface and shot off towards the main part of the lake. I slowed it to prevent it going round the point bush and drew it back then played it out in the small clear area which was no mean feat as it was fighting like mad. As I netted it I knew it was a better one and it was an 18lb 6oz common with a two tone colour down one flank.
Then after a few minutes the other rod shot off and I hooked a fish that tore about 30 yards of line off in one go! As soon as it stoppped though I quickly had him in the net, it was one of the stocky mirrors which went in about 3 or 4 years ago, probably just finding out the dangers of eating tiger nuts!
Had another screamer on the same rod a few minutes later but after a big thump it came off, maybe it was that long common or the scaly mirror, who knows?

No comments: