Friday 22 July 2011

Mega session at Laundry lake!

I took thurdsay and friday off work and thursday afternoon Graham and I went down to Laundry lake. It was overcast and spitting with rain but very mild and we had a scout round the lake which was only being fished by 3 others. We found a few carp milling around at the deep end so set up a swim apart down there and were set up by 1.30pm.
We'd only been fishing about half an hour when I had a take on a bait dropped into the margin on my left. The fish slowly powered out into the lake and I knew it could be a good one. We netted after I finally got it to the bank and I had my first twenty of the year, a common at 20lb 9oz! What a start!
Just 10 minutes later Graham had a common of 14lb 12oz, then it went quiet for a bit.
At 3.45pm he had a 16lb 2oz common that put up a great fight.
Then just half an hour later he hooked what was obviously a good sized fish. As it came near I saw it was a long mirror and started joking that he had hooked 'Blackspot' which is probably the best known fish in the lake and usually comes out as a mid-twenty.
After a bit more leg pulling from me I netted the fish for him, and lo and behold it was Blackspot! What a monster it was, up in weight at 27lb exactly and a new PB for Graham.
After having a twenty each we were well pleased but more action followed after a quiet spell of 3 hours when Graham netted a 13lb 10oz common.
At 8pm I had a peach of a mirror at 18lb 8oz, then just 20 minutes later Graham had a mirror of 15lb 2oz that did most of it's fighting on the unhooking mat.
At 8.30pm I hooked one of the hardest fighting carp I've ever caught, a common of 17lb 6 oz that took 20 minutes of mad fighting to land.
Finally as we were packing up I had a 15lb 8oz mirror to end a great afternoon.












1 comment:

Tynan said...

wow, nice fish, good work

fishing this one this weekend hopefully, pass permitting, anything you ever want to share regarding swims, baits and rigs is appreciated

thanks
Tynan