Wednesday 13 April 2011

Our history of fishing at Straits mill

We first started fishing here in 2008. Myself, my two brothers Alex and Graham and my long term fishing mate Dave. All of us had some success with many doubles caught and everyone except myself catching a twenty. Infact the lake gave them each their first twenty. In 2009 Alex moved to Southend and fished the lake only a couple of times. Graham, Dave and myself fished on, however during the winter of 2010 the lake was heavily 'pruned' by chainsaw wielding contractors (who sell the wood they remove...) and we left the club and joined CAPS. 
After a year that club increased its fees to a point where I could not justify joining. 
I have now decided to bite the bullet and rejoin BDAC. Graham is still a member of CAPS but is also rejoining, Alex lives too far away and Dave is currently undecided due to family commitments.
There was a great outcry over the tree surgery and it appears the club has scaled back the pruning, however only time will tell...

I will be mainly fishing weekday evenings due to weekends being too busy for me, this suits me fine as the lake tends to fish better on quiet evenings. Hot summer days with lots of other lines in the water are very poor!
In terms of tactics I am going to concentrate on the old favourite swims of ours and try to get the fish onto my new boiled baits with tiger nuts, meat and possibly a different particle as back up baits. 

No comments: